Sunday, May 16, 2010

Recent Activity

I've played about 20 hours of Xbox this past week. All I have to say is that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the bomb!


Spring rains have kept us cooped up in the house playing video games but between showers we have continued our exploration of Colorado's front range bouldering.

A couple days ago we visited Newlin Creek for the first time. Unfortunately the area was shrouded in thick clouds spiting rain/snow/mist. After the two hour drive from Denver though we were determined to see a boulder at the very least. Newlin is a fairly secluded area with boulders nestled between tall trees and steep canyon walls. The warm up was unusually difficult and I found myself missing comfortable LRC jugs. Eventually I found myself warm and at the top of a cool arete climb called The Nickness (v10), a must do for any Newlin goer with the gumption. Around the boulder is William Shatner which climbs a series of sidepulls to a highball topout. It took a minute but I got the boulder done and so did Jimmy. Mission accomplished! We have video but have been having some trouble getting it onto a computer for editing. Hopefully we'll have it all sorted out soon.

We also got up to Boulder Canyon to try Free Range (v13) the sit start to Cage Free. After a few tries I was convinced it would go but the sun, which hadn't made an appearance in days, was blasting the boulder. It wasn't long before the holds were baked and my skin was hurting. If we get some better temps I'll be back to finish this one off. We also tried Authentic Battle Damage (v12) an ultra compression roof line. I don't think I've ever tried a boulder more outside my style and I was shut down. Jimmy did it though in trademark random style.

Tomorrow we are going to be heading out to try the classic Black Ice (v10). Stay tuned.

-Voges

No comments:

Post a Comment